Frankenstein's Monster!

So we have had a little bit of a breather between projects at work which enabled me to pursue one of my favorite pastimes: studying film!  My subjects this time were the classic Universal monster movies as well as the German Expressionist period.  Basically 1920-1940 in Germany and America.  While screenshoting my way through these gems I was come over by a strong desire to mimic them myself in good old CG.  Luckily one of my co-workers (Carlos Maciel) is also a huge fan of classic Universal.  He had built a textured model of the Frankenstein's monster and graciously allowed me to use it in my lighting studies.  Here are the results:


The ones on the left are my renders next to reference from The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) while the ones of the right are referencing Dracula (1931).  Since I do not have a Dracula model at the moment, Frankie stood in an let me light him instead.  All renders were done in Maya with V-Ray.  One grade node was applied in Nuke forcing me to get the in camera renders as close as possible without relying on rotos etc.  So much fun!

 
   

Comments

Popular Posts